Patient Resources

In This Section


L.L. - March 10th, 2010

On Memorial weekend 2008 my whole world as I knew it was about to change. I was sick and tired of being tired and was finally going to do something about it. At that time I was a 43 year old wife and mother of two. My son was in college. My daughter was getting ready for her senior year of high school. My husband just wanted his wife back and not this miserable depressed person I had become.

I, like many others, was against Weight Loss Surgery until my health started to spiral out of control. My knees were giving out because they no longer could handle the amount of weight they had to carry. My back was in constant pain from arthritis. I was put on Metformin back in 2005 at 500 mg then was increased to 1000 mg in 2006 to keep my sugar levels in check. I was on 20 mg of Lasik because my legs and feet would swell so bad I couldn't even walk and the skin would stretch until it hurt so bad. I knew this was going to be my last option. I tried all kinds of diets throughout the years like Weight Watchers, Nutra System, Slim fast and diets supervised by Physicians. I was even prescribed medications...only to gain all the weight back and more. I wasn't living I was just existing!

On June 12, 2008 I took the first steps and went to Dr. Pohl's & Dr. Giovanni's seminar on Weight Loss Surgery options. In Sept of 2008 I had my first appointment with Dr. Pohl. After meeting with him in his office, I felt this sense of ease and became very comfortable with my decision to have RNY-Gastric Bypass. After several months of doing all my required testing I had my 2nd visit with Dr. Pohl. We went over all my test result and Dr. Pohl finally said the words I was waiting for "You are a good candidate for the surgery and after reviewing all the results we can now proceed and schedule your surgery date" I was so very excited as I anxiously awaited the call from Dr. Pohl's office staff with my surgery date! A couple of days later I received the call that my new "BIRTHDATE" was scheduled for January 06, 2009 at 7am.

I had to start my 2 week diet of just liquids and one meal a day on Christmas Eve but I didn't mind because I knew there would be more Christmas Eve's in my future. So I managed to get through the two week pre-op diet with no real problems. I was starting to get a little nervous but I still felt like this was the right thing to do for me. The morning of the surgery I met Jeremy and Michelle for the first time; they are Dr. Pohl's PA's. They were the last faces I saw, other than my husband's. Next thing I knew, I was waking up to see Dr. Pohl standing over me. He was so relaxed and calm, he then told me everything went well and that he had to repair a hiatal hernia while he was 'in there'. I was brought to my room after recovery and then began my new life!!! While in the hospital, I remembered all the things I had seen on the Obesityhelp.com website. Walk, walk, walk...Sip, sip, sip so even though I couldn't eat or drink I began the walking part of it. A couple of days later I was released from the hospital. I came home and did everything Dr. Pohl advised me to do. I was very happy with him as my surgeon. I have had absolutely no complications and everything has gone great!

Now it's been over a year and a half, I have lost a total of 160 lbs. I reflect back on it all. I wouldn't change a thing! I love my new life and all the new friends I have made from the support groups! I am finally Living my Life and it feels wonderful not to just be sitting on the couch wondering if there truly is life outside my window. I have found through this experience that support groups and making exercise fun are two of the keys to my success. I never in my life went to a support group ever and now I hate to miss a meeting!